January 19 – January 25
January 21 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – No School
January 23 – Donut Benefit Sale
January 24 – BBS Spelling Bee
January 31 – Parent Coffee Seminar
February 1 – Tutus and Tennis Shoes Ticket Deadline
On Wednesday, January 23, some of our 4th grade students will be selling warm Krispy Kreme donuts for $1.00 each. This project was developed by some of our 4th grade students who want to help a BBS family with out of town expenses during an extended hospital stay at St. Jude. Donuts will be sold where Chick-fil-A biscuits are passed out on the Kindergarten hall. Contact Dr. Corcoran if you would like to pre-order a dozen so that he can plan accordingly.
Students in 3rd-5th grade will have the opportunity to participate in the BBS Spelling Bee on Thursday, January 24, at 9:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary. Parents are welcome to attend. The top three finishers of the school bee will participate in the zone spelling bee on Thursday, February 7, at St. Nicholas School.
We are very excited about this year’s auction! Students received information and tickets for a raffle that is being offered as part of the auction. The winner of the raffle can win $5,000 cash or a full year of BBS tuition. Tickets are $50.00 each, or 3 for $100. Each child who turns in $250.00 or more will have a civilian week, get a free t-shirt and will participate in a luau breakfast with Hawaiian ice and donuts. The top seller will receive $100 cash.
Lauren’s Kids – Safer Smarter Kids is an evidence-based curriculum for elementary school aged children teaching the importance of safety rules, boundaries, identifying a safe adult, and how to act in an unsafe situation. Safer Smarter Kids is designed to have a different, more advanced lesson for each grade level. Each lesson is paired with a short video and interactive activity.
Parents are invited to come learn from Jessica Bastianelli from our local Child Advocacy Center on January 31, at 8:30 a.m. in room #207. She will share with us more about Lauren’s Kids and the role you play in keeping your kids and other kids you know safe.
Brainerd Baptist School offers need-based financial aid for students in K5 through 5th grade on a yearly basis. Financial aid applications are now being accepted via FACTS. It is very important for parents to complete the application before January 31. No late applications will be considered. Click here for the link and more information.
January 21–25, 2019
Memory Verse: Galatians 5:22
Unit:Celebration of Our Differences
Language Arts: We will be working on Letter Ee. We will focus on: blending with “e”, concepts of first and last, verbal comparisons, discriminating between similar words, and spelling dictated words.
Math: We will continue covering designs with pattern blocks, geoboards, line segments, telling time to the half hour, estimating, and writing to 110.
F&F:Compare & Contrast
· Your 100-day snack item will be due January 31st! The note will come in your Tuesday folder.
· Our 100-Day celebration will be on February 1st(as long as we have no snow days). This day will be full of activities centered around the 100-day theme. Keep working on those100-Day Projects (remember, no necklaces). Remember, they are due that day.
· Our Valentine Parties will be from 8:30–10:10 on Wednesday, February 13th. Please be willing to help if your homeroom mom calls on you. This is also a half-day of school.
· Reading is a daily practice skill. Please make time for your child to read to you.
· Some suggestions for fun practice with word lists and sight words are: double cards for memory games, flash cards, word blanks, pudding or shaving cream writing.
· K5 tries to go outside every day unless it is raining or frigid temperatures. Please besure to dress your child warmly. Don’t forget to label everything with your child’s name.
January 31 100-Day snack item due
February 1 100-Day Celebration and 100 Day project due
February 13 Valentine’s Day Party
February 14-18 Winter Break
February 19 School Resumes