December 11 – December 15
December 20 – K3/K4 Christmas Program
December 20 – ½ Day of School
December 21-January 3 – Christmas Break
January 4 – School Resumes
January 5 – BBS Spirit Day
- K3/K4 Christmas program will be on Wednesday, December 20, at 9:00 a.m. in the school cafeteria.
- Holiday Childcare
Wednesday, Dec 20: to follow early dismissal - 5:30
Thursday, Dec 21: 7:30 - 5:30 (at the BX childcare area, due to plumbing repairs on main campus)
Friday, Dec 22: 7:30 - 5:30
Tuesday, Jan 2: 7:30 - 5:30
Wednesday, Jan 3: 7:30 - 5:30Students must be signed up for Holiday Care.
- Students may be dismissed following their classroom parties on Wednesday, December 20. Remember, this is technically a half-day of school. All students MUST be picked up by 11:30.
- Financial aid applications for the 2018-2019 school year are now being accepted. More information including the application link can be found on the "Financial Aid" section of our school website, which is located under the “Admissions” tab.
- Just a reminder that The Speech and Hearing Center will be at school next Tuesday, December 12th, to conduct speech and hearing screenings. If you would like for your child to be screened, please fill out the attached form and return it with $20 to your child's teacher.
First Grade Overview
December 11, 2017
BIBLE: There are no written verse tests this first semester, but Mr. Owens will begin implementing verse tests (fill in the blank with word bank) beginning in January 2018.
Genesis 1:1 (ESV) - “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
Romans 6:23 (ESV) - “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Genesis 15:6 (ESV) - “And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.”
Colossians 1:15 (ESV) - “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation."
Romans 8:31b (ESV) - “If God is for us, who can be against us?”
Psalm 56:3 (ESV) - “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Phonics: This week we will be working on combination ar, or, and qu. We will also learn about digraph ch.
Assessment: Test is Friday, December 15th.
Spelling: Test on List 12 is Friday, December 15th.
us, six, yes, good, jump, five, name, drink, stacked, napkin, some, was
Sentences: 1. The bee stung Bob on the heel. 2. His heel swelled and felt hot.
Foundations and Frameworks: We are learning about Retelling. The information was sent home in your child’s Tuesday folder for review at home.
Students will be tested on the pattern statement, process questions, visual tool and vocabulary.
Pattern Statement: Oral restating requires organizing one’s thoughts.
1. Who was in the story?
2. What happened in the story? In what order did it happen?
3. How can the story be retold, pretending the listener has never heard or read the story?
4. What distracting details can be left out?
5. How/where can expression be used?
Visual Tool: Flow Chart
We will cover the following vocabulary:
cutlass, swarming, suspicious, renowned, annual, vital, depart, nutcracker, tremendous, whisked
Assessment: December 13th-15th
MATH: This week in marvelous math we will work on adding 10 to a number, comparing and ordering numbers to 100, counting by 100, and addition facts with sums of 10.
Assessment: Test will be on Friday, December 15th.
Assessments cover the information on worksheets your child has brought home for homework from the previous week.
SCIENCE AND SOCIAL STUDIES: We are learning about Christmas.
The children will need to be able to recite the poem by Friday, December 15th.
Christmas is not about presents,
or gifts with ribbon all curled -
but Christmas is all about Jesus,
He is the true light to the world!
Please continue to submit Box Tops to your teacher to earn money for your child’s classroom.
December 20th - ½ Day of School - Christmas Party 8:15-9:30
January 4th - School Resumes
January 5th - BBS Spirit Day
January 8th-26th - Our monthly projects will begin in January. In January we will begin with “Snuggle Up with a Good Book”. Your child will be assigned a day to read a book aloud to the class in PJ’s!
January 15th - MLK Day - No School
January 26th - “Snuggle Up with a Good Book” Party