Brainerd Baptist School
School-Wide Service Project
Friday, December 8th
What: We are partnering with Local Fare and Gift-A-Bike to raise funds to purchase bikes for children who would otherwise not receive gifts this holiday season.
How: We are asking each person to donate $5 at the door (or more if you wish) to attend our Pancake Breakfast. All monies raised will go directly to the cause!
Our goal is to purchase as many bikes & helmets possible!
Here is the cost breakdown, FYI:
- Each bike costs roughly $75 (depends on the size)
- Each helmet costs roughly $20
- Donations of $100 help to buy a bike, helmet and bell
Who: Depending on the number of bikes they are able to purchase, Local Fare will distribute bikes (in priority order) to these three charities:
- Forgotten Child Fund
- Families apply and go through an interview process to be considered as a family who is in need. The families who are chosen (only 10) will be visited by the “Santa Train.” This is a long line of cars filled with gifts (roughly 65 cars) and they will distribute bikes and other gifts to these families.
- Toys for Tots
- Northside Neighborhood House
Why: Did you know that one of our school families founded this charity?
Jeff Embry, Xav Embry’s (5th grader) dad, began “Gift-A-Bike” in 1998. Jeff passed away suddenly in December of 2010. At that point, Local Fare stepped in and helped to continue the work that he lovingly started. We are so proud to support this outreach in our community.
“Helping a person will not necessarily change the world,
but it will change the world for that person.”