September 25 – September 29
September 27 – “See You at the Pole”
September 27 – Fall Festival T-Shirt Orders Due
September 29 – Spartan Race Donations Due
September 29 – Last Day to Sign-up for Annual Lunch Plan
October 4 – Fall Festival Armband Orders Due
October 5-9 – Fall Break
October 11 – Jazzy Jars Due
October 13 – BBS Spirit Day
October 19 – Cake Walk Donations are Due
October 20 – Doughnuts for Dads
October 20 – Fall Festival
· “See You at the Pole” is Wednesday, September 27. Students and parents will meet at the flagpole at 7:50 a.m.
· Want to upgrade to the Annual Lunch Plan? - Friday, September 29, is the deadline to sign-up for the Annual Lunch Plan and have your 10-day or 30-day lunch ticket amount deducted from the total. The annual plan for students in K3-2nd grade is $500 ($2.85 per day). The annual plan for students in 3rd-5th grade is $675 ($3.85 per day). Sign Up Form
· Holiday Care will be offered on October 5, 6, and 9. Hours are 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Students will need to brink a sack lunch and drink. Snacks will be provided. Holiday Care will be billed as ASC charges at $3.50/hour through Kinderlime. Space is limited and by reservation only. Remember, a reservation is a commitment and will be charged a minimum fee. Sign Up Form
· BBS Fall Festival is Friday, October 20, 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. An information packet with the t-shirt order form was sent home in the Tuesday folders. A great way to advertise your business is by sponsoring a booth or activity at our Fall Festival. We will print a sign naming your business and place it at the booth of your choice.
Sponsorship is $300. Contact Ellen Baggenstoss in the school office if you would like to participate in a sponsorship.
Brainerd Baptist School now has an app for iPhone and Android. Learn more on the BBS blog!
Lands' End is offering a 40% off sale for school uniforms. Click here for more information
Fifth Grade Overview
September 25, 2017
Reminder: Please be collecting Box Tops for Education and turn them into your child’s homeroom teacher. These provide additional funds that will be used to help educate your child.
$$ Tybee Island $30.00 payment due Friday, September 29, 2017.
Chickamauga Battlefield Field Trip - September 29, 2017
Weather permitting, we will spend the morning riding bikes and eating lunch at a picnic area in the park. Students (and adults) who wish to participate in the ride will need to have their bikes and helmets to the carline canopy on Mayfair Ave. no later than 8:45 the morning of the field trip. We will have alternate activities for those who do not want to go on the bike ride. At 1:00 we will go to the museum for a presentation and film. We will return to school by dismissal.
We still need parent drivers to chaperone this field trip. Please email your child’s homeroom teacher if you can help on September 29.
Western Days - October 27, 2017
Mark your calendars for a special day away from school. Students will go to Mrs. Gruner’s house for a day full of planned activities. This is a great day for parents and grandparents to come and help with the various activities. Ask off from work now!! More details will be provided as the day approaches. Please email your child’s homeroom teacher if you can help on October 27.
Bible: Continue working on memorizing the following scripture in preparation for our next verse test on Friday, September 29, (5B) and Monday, October 2nd (5A). We are going to reinforce Ephesians 3:17 from our first verse test, so this 2nd verse test will cover Ephesians 3:17-18 (ESV). 17“So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,”
On Wednesday, September 27th, at 7:50 a.m., 1st-5th graders will have the opportunity to participate in the national prayer campaign, "See You At The Pole."
Music: In music class, we will have our first read-through of the Christmas musical. Have your student begin to think about if he/she would like to audition for a speaking part or a solo. More information about those dates will be in the next overview. Also, chorus club will begin Monday, September 25. Looking forward to getting started!
F&F - Reading: We will spend a few days covering Cause and Effect. We will not be reading any books related to Cause and Effect, but we will read short stories to determine Cause and Effect and do some task cards. There will not be any tests over Cause and Effect.
Spelling: Unit 3 spelling test will be on Monday, October 2. These words are related to the next Science unit
Math: We will finish our chapter on multiplication next week. The last concept in the chapter is multiplying by two digits, which has been a challenge for some each week on Drops in the Bucket. Our test will be on Tuesday, October 3. Where did September go???
English: This week we will continue our unit covering nouns. Students are learning to distinguish between common and proper nouns and are learning about possessive nouns, too. They are also applying rules for spelling plural nouns. We will incorporate these skills and concepts in our writing during Writer’s Workshop throughout this unit.
Social Studies: We will examine the reconstruction and rebuilding of the South. The test over the Civil War will be on Wednesday, September 27. Students will have a study sheet in their binders.
Advisory: With our first field trip coming up soon, we dealt with some basic field trip expectations this week in advisory. Please ask your student(s) what they remember from our time together.
Field Trip Expectations
1. On a bus (or in a car), always face forward. (#32)
2. When meeting new people, shake hands, look them in the eye, and repeat their names. (#33)
3. On a field trip, enter a public building quietly. (#38)
4. On a field trip, compliment the place you are visiting. (#39)
5. When returning from a trip, shake the hands of every chaperone. (#42)