First Grade Overview
BIBLE: Psalm 147:4 – “He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name.” The written verse test will be on Wednesday, February 10, 2016.
Phonics: This week in phonics we will be covering v/cv rule with long a, i, e, o and u. We will also be covering compound words.
Assessment will be on Friday, February 5th.
Spelling: List 14
my, tell, her, soon, shall, stringy, made, feelings, packed, number, want*, don’t*
- My little dog likes to nap with me.
- He snores and cuddles on my lap.
- After he wakes up, he wants to run.
Foundations and Frameworks: We will be introducing our new unit, Story Structure. Information packets will go home in Tuesday Folders this week.
Pattern Statement: When faced with a problem or goal, there may be multiple attempts that fail before solving the problem or reaching the goal.
- Who is the main character?
- What is the character’s goal or problem?
- What does the character do to try and reach the goal or solve the problem?
- How does the story end?
- What is a block to the main character’s attempt at reaching the goal or solving the problem?
- How does the final attempt to reach the goal or solve the problem lead to the story’s outcome?
MATH: This week in marvelous math we will work on subtracting facts from 10, identifying dozen and half dozen, estimating distance using feet, adding 9, and identifying paper money.
Assessment: Friday, February 5th.
Assessments cover the information on worksheets your child has brought home for homework from the previous week.
Science and Social Studies: We will finish up our unit on Antarctica and the Arctic this week.
Please submit Box Tops to your teacher to earn money for your child’s classroom.
It is starting to be chilly for our recess at 10:40 a.m. Please use your discretion and send your child a sweater or jacket if needed. Any outerwear jackets/sweaters may be worn outside to recess but dress code guidelines should be met for sweaters, sweatshirts and jackets worn inside the building.
February 5th- BBS Spirit Day
February 11th- ½ day and Valentine Party
February 12th-15th – Winter Break
February 17th-19th- Famous American Oral Reports